Sunday, September 26, 2010

End of a blogging community ...

I decided tonight to join other bloggers who are removing the Newfoundland & Labrador Blog Roll from their websites. Part of the concern relates to security issues raised in connection with Blog Roll (the organization that hosts the NLBR) but also the fact that Blog Roll is going to be shutting down. Stephen Harris, who set up the Newfoundland & Labrador Blog Roll put it this way: “it appears BR will be shutting down soon, meaning our lovely blog collection (in this software) will die with it. I'm scrambling to look for some solutions or alternate systems, but I'm doubtful in finding something as good as what BR is (or was). If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.”

While the Newfoundland & Labrador Blog Roll is a great source of ‘connection’ with other bloggers on the rock, it’s a self-maintenance project in that you have to ping the Blog Roll site every time you update your blog in order to get it to appear on the list. On the other hand, Blogger, the host of this blog, offers what they call a ‘gadget’ you can add to your blog with those blogs you check out the most often and it does an automatic update. I’ve added that to this blog on the right hand side of the page, under the clock.

We owe a vote of thanks to Stephen Harris for setting up the Newfoundland & Labrador Blog Roll. I know that for me, it has been an introduction to many Newfoundland bloggers I would never have found otherwise. Stephen, thank you!

Slainte!

No comments: