Saturday, March 27, 2010

Speed limits in St. John’s are a joke

St. John’s drivers. Why is everyone in such a hurry? Prince Phillip Parkway onto Columbus Drive seems to be the Indy 500 for most people. If you’re driving the speed limit or slightly below like I usually do, it sometimes seems like you’re standing still. Same with people coming up to a red light. Full bore until they get there and then they jam on the brakes. I often watch people coming up behind me when I’m stopped at a light and often seriously wonder if they are going to stop. The RNC needs to set up some speed traps around the city and that will help for awhile at least. I think I’ve seen one police car, doing what looked like speed checking in the last 5 or 6 months. Why slow down when it appears that no one is watching and/or no one cares? The ones I love are those with the big “Novice Driver” sign in the back window passing you on Columbus Drive so they can get to the red light first. Makes me think that speed limits in St. John’s are a joke that no one obeys.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I couldn't agree more. I've noticed that in the last several years it's even gotten worse. There is a mania on the streets, and courtesy is just not there. I've written a few similar articles on this in the last couple of years. There is a fortune to be made if they really want to cut back on speeders and reckless drivers.

ViewPoint2010 said...

My feeling is that the law is not being enforced as it should be. I so seldom see RNC cars on the street that I look twice when I see one. I realize there may be "ghost" cars out there, but the visibility can be a deterrent in itself and I think that's what the RNC has to start thinking about - deterrence. It's great to have the billboards up, but a cop on the street has more impact than a billboard any day. Good comments by the way, I read through them and agree with the number of holes on the street! :-)