Thursday, September 15, 2011

Crosby breaks headshot barrier: Cammalleri

Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri says having superstar Sidney Crosby speak out about headshots will help other NHL players voice opinions on what used to be a taboo subject.

"What the immediate effect is for me is that it allows other players now to come out and say 'OK, it's not uncool to say what I really believe, and that I'm not a soft player because I don't think we should have headshots. I'm not a player a general manager won't want on his team. I'm now going to voice that opinion,"' Cammalleri said Wednesday as the Canadiens gathered for their annual charity golf tournament.

"I think it's very good of Sid to be able to do that. He's under a big microscope, the biggest in our game, and I commend him for doing that. I think that it's important that we don't be ignorant to what's going on in our game."

Crosby has been out of action with concussion symptoms since early January after taking shots to the head in consecutive games. While the Pittsburgh Penguins centre is optimistic he will be able to play again, no date has been set for his return.

Read more: http://tinyurl.com/3p5h4f6

2 comments:

Government Funded Blogger said...

Get rid of the helmets. In the six team NHL head shots and concussionswere rarer than a nazi at a bar mitsvah also rugby players are helmet less and I would bet that concussions sort are less than in the NFL

ViewPoint2010 said...

I think you're very right GFB. The more gear you put on, the more invincible you feel. I played rugby as a kid and you learned how to protect yourself on the field and how to protect others.