Friday, July 2, 2010

Wrong is wrong

Somewhere along the way, the education system on this rock let down a lot of people. I’m thinking of those who believe the incorrect grammar they use is ok. Consider for example, “Is you going there today? You has to go there today because we has to pick up something.” I hear those kinds of conversations every day, from people who work in clerical positions in the education system. I’ve been told that it’s a difference between whether you were educated in town or in the bays but I don’t understand why these people could graduate from high school with those sorts of language skills intact. The odd time now when I try to correct someone’s grammar in this context, I’m told that I’m “picking on” them. Some people consider it to be quaint but that doesn’t cut it. Bottom line: wrong is wrong.

No comments: